Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Celebrate Light

When I work in the office, I like to dress up. Now that I’m not a teacher, I can totally get away with wearing heels, the really high kind that look great but hurt like hell if you have to do any walking at all.

Since yesterday was the Chinese Moon Festival, I wore unbelievable red heels for good luck.

What? You don’t celebrate Chinese Moon Festival?

According to my sources, this festival takes place in the 8th lunar month and is basically just a good excuse to get together with family and friends, eat delicious mooncakes, tell stories, sing songs, and admire the luscious full moon. In other words, what’s not to love?

Last night, in Riverside, Heritage House and the Municipal Museum sponsored a wonderful family-event. Probably a thousand people crammed into the landscaped grounds below glowing paper lanterns to sip tea, tie good-luck knots in red cords, sample bean paste mooncakes, hear traditional stories about jade rabbit, and just enjoy the moonbeams.

It’s nice to think that the same benevolent moon lights all of our nights. Just one more way we’re all connected.

To end yoga class today, teacher H said, “May you see the light that is luminous, radiant, and right there, shining on your path.” May you indeed, my friends in this world.

No comments: