Monday, September 8, 2008

Poetry, Religion, Poetry

Being Six

Lots of thoughts to
Spin around
Arms outstretched
Feet love the ground
Whirl until it
All comes clear
Turn until
It disappears




When I wrote this poem, the image of a Whirling Dervish sprang to mind. Someone twisting around and around as children do. Except I wasn't sure exactly what a Dervish was. I thought it might be Indian or Middle Eastern...

Imagine my surprise to do a bit of research and find out that Whirling Dervishes are part of the religion of Islam. Even today, these followers live a life of poverty and humility and seek religious ecstacy through the intense motion of ritual dance.

I was even more surprised to note that the poet Rumi was a Whirling Dervish. Still one of the most widely read poets in America, Rumi writes exquisite poems of love, longing and the meaning of being. Like this one:

This World Which Is Made of Our Love for Emptiness

Praise to the emptiness that blanks out existence. Existence:
This place made from our love for that emptiness!

Yet somehow comes emptiness, this existence goes.
Praise to that happening, over and over!

For years I pulled my own existence out of emptiness.
Then one swoop, one swing of the arm, that work is over.

Free of who I was, free of presence,
free of dangerous fear, hope, free of mountainous wanting.

The here-and-now mountain is a tiny piece
of a piece of straw blown off into emptiness.

These words I'm saying so much begin to lose meaning:
Existence, emptiness, mountain, straw:

Words and what they try to say
swept out the window, down the slant of the roof.

From Poems by Rumi

No comments: