Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fasting for Ramadan

The month of Ramadan began on Monday, and I find myself observing it with a modified fast.

I’m not Muslim. Not even remotely.

But I am big on spiritual observances. The rituals that remind us that there is much more to life than just the day-to-day dross. Sacrifice, devotion, dedication and intention are part of a healthy spirituality. I know quite well how enduring the lack of something can hone a shining appreciation not just for what is missed, but also for what is so abundantly present.

Since one of my closest and most wonderful friends is a (not-very-strict) follower of Islam, I decided that I would go hungry in solidarity with her.

Because I’m following my own inner guidance, this is a modified fast. Devout observers generally give up all food and drink intake, including water, from sunrise to sunset for the entire month. That just won’t work for me. So my terms are that I can drink freely, water or tea, and eat any fruits, vegetables, or nuts I want during daylight hours. Any other foods have to wait for the darkness (sort-of vampiric, huh?).

Several milestones loom for me at the end of this month. I have a big birthday at the start of October. I begin my year-long program to learn how to teach yoga at the end of September. I also will meet for the first time with a dear blog friend from another country. This month just suggested itself to me as a perfect time to prepare and purify.

It’s amazing to know that I am in the company of so many millions of other souls around the world.

Even though I’m not of their faith, I can still appreciate the value of Faith itself.

And that I can share in it.

3 comments:

Ursula said...

Oh, thank you.

Everybody has her own writing style, so I realized who you are. A wish you much fun with yoga and writing.

I am looking forward to meeting you.

Ursula

Bliss said...

You're welcome!!

I was going to tell you after I put up a few posts and found my stride.

But I had to mention you, what with the yoga and veganism and all.

San Diego will be fun!

Namaste!

Anonymous said...

I think it is very nice what you are doing and you will find a great pride in yourself and appreciation for those in need around you. p